The Old Plaza Firehouse


The Plaza Firehouse was the first building in the city designed to house fire fighting crews and their equipment. A volunteer city Fire Department was formed in 1871. The first occupants of the Firehouse when it was built in 1884 were called the Volunteer 38s (this being the number of men in Engine Company No 1.) The Plaza Firehouse has been restored and converted into a museum which displays firefighting equipment of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Hours of Operation

Tue-Sun: 10am to 3pm


501 N. Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90012

American Express: the go-to card for travel, restaurants, and experiences. Now accepted at more places than ever.

  • ADA Accessible
  • Aptify ID: 30350
  • Family Friendly
  • Gay Friendly
  • Self Parking